Religion and Architecture
Architectural and religious landmarks of the Douro Valley and their influence on its people, villages, and surroundings.
For tours with children and groups over 5 people ask for more information
Duration in hours:10h (8h30 - 18h30)
Pick-up:Porto - Gaia - Douro
Guide languages:PT, EN, ES, FR
- Reviews (0)
- Important Information
Douro is not only Matter; the Holy also has a very important place in the region’s history.
Our first stop is in Lamego, the religious core of Douro and an important pilgrimage center of the country. After a brief pause to strengthen our energies, we will visit the Shrine of Nossa Senhora dos Remédios. The Shrine’s construction began in 1750 and was completely finished in 1905, hence sharing traces of Baroque and Rococo styles. Its 686 steps to the top might leave you gasping for air, but it’s well paid off once you get there. The beauty and calm of the Shrine along with the amazing view over Lamego will leave your heart at peace.
After a well-deserved lunch break at local regional places, our Experience in Lamego ends with a visit to the Cathedral where some of the region’s delicacies were born.
Continuing our journey through the iconic National Road 222, we will find our next destination amongst Douro’s hills – the small village of Castanheiro do Sul. In here we can enjoy one of the best, yet fairly unknown, views over the Douro region.
On our way back to Porto, we will make a quick detour to check out Pinhão, a reference site on the history of the region and the wine. This was the place where the famous Rabelo boats would be loaded with wine barrels and shipped all the way to Vila Nova de Gaia for the Porto wine cellars.
Included in the Experiences:
- Pickup and Drop Off at the accommodation site in Porto, Vila Nova de Gaia or Douro;
- Entrances on the visiting locations included in the Experiences;
- Activities included in the Experiences (tastings, etc.);
- Lunch and other meals on scheduled stops;
- All activities are insured as required by law.
Not included in the Experiences:
- Personal expenses;
- Other expenses not mentioned in the Experiences.
- AC vehicle;
- Bottled water;
- USB outlet for charging mobile devices.
- Pricing is per person;
- A discount is granted when booking 4 or more adults;
- Children between 5 and 12 years old only pay half price;
- Free for infants up to 4 years old.
- The presented timeline works as a guideline and it can be tailored to suit the needs of the clients.
- The routes in each Experience can be adjusted according to the interest of the clients, with previous notice.
- Smoking is not allowed inside the vehicle.