Douro Olives and Olive oil
It’s time to get down and dirty!
Be a part of the harvest process, from picking the grapes to the “lagarada” – treading the grapes.
For tours with children and groups over 5 people ask for more information
Duration in hours:10h30 (8h30 - 19h00)
Pick-up:Porto - Gaia - Douro
Drop-off:Porto - Gaia - Douro
Guide languages:PT, EN, ES, FR
- Reviews (0)
- Important Informations
Now that the Grape harvest has ended, it’s time to focus our attention an another typical Douro product: the olives and the olive oil!
Originally used to mark the boundaries of the vineyard from each producer, the olives trees were also an additional source of income. This way viticulturists weren’t solely relying on their grapes and wine production. Olive oil was considered a deluxe product. out of reach from the majority of the people.
The Douro landscape does not allow for mechanized harvest, so we still use the traditional harvesting method. The olive tree is beaten with a long stick, making the olives fall onto a big tarp. Very labor intensive, but the result is that olive trees can reach an age of centuries or even millennia!
With this program, we will witness the harvest of the olives; learn about the traditional and modern processes of extracting the oil from the olives, and sample a few different olive oils from local producers. Their quality is unsurpassed by other olive oils!
Of course, we will also have the chance to taste some great Port and table wines along the way!
- Foot treading participation is an activity subject to the winemakers' approval.
- This is a seasonal Experience and only available during the month of Novembre.
Included in the Experiences:
- Pickup and Drop Off at the accommodation site in Porto, Vila Nova de Gaia or Douro;
- Entrances on the visiting locations included in the Experiences;
- Activities included in the Experiences (tastings, etc.);
- Lunch and other meals on scheduled stops;
- All activities are insured as required by law.
Not included in the Experiences:
- Personal expenses;
- Other expenses not mentioned in the Experiences.
- AC vehicle;
- Bottled water;
- USB outlet for charging mobile devices.
- Pricing is per person;
- A discount is granted when booking 4 or more adults;
- Children between 5 and 12 years old only pay half price;
- Free for infants up to 4 years old.
- The presented timeline works as a guideline and it can be tailored to suit the needs of the clients.
- The routes in each Experience can be adjusted according to the interest of the clients, with previous notice.
- Smoking is not allowed inside the vehicle.